[asterisk-biz] ANI

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Tue May 13 15:15:03 CDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-13 at 15:40 -0400, Steve Totaro wrote:
> I don't follow this, "We would sit in my friend's dad's custom van
> down the street with a long roll of speaker cable, with clips on one
> end and a RJ-Jack on the other. High TECH, Radio Shack!!!"  What
> exactly does that do?

they would clip in at the box, run the wire to the van and place the
calls.  In this way they arent visible at the box, they are in an
enclosed area which can shield light they may be using for other things,
and they are climate controlled.

It lets you basically do it for longer, and if you have multiple pairs
of wire, in parallel, all from the comfort of a poofy chair or sofa in
the back.

Further if you just get a hard hat and a harris buttset most people will
ignore you thinking you really are the phone company.  The hard hat goes
a long way, especially if its the same color (most are white) with a
bell (or whatever) logo on the side.  You are only there for a couple
minutes long enough to use the 3/8" wrench (no locks on most) and your
wire prefabricated with clips on the end, you just clip them in and away
you go.  These boxes exist in neighborhoods of various sizes (even here
in NL, but they are all punched wire here) from small square ones for a
couple homes to larger ones for an entire neighborhood.  Strip malls
generally have them exposed in the back, a lot of homes have TNIs that
provide access for both rj11 and clips.  Many of the TNIs cant be fully
locked, while they provide a lock facility, a socket can open them
trivially.

So in essence its not that hard to find a vulnerable pair, its harder to
find one that lets you set ani/clid, or target a specific person.
Knowing the neighborhood they are in along wtih the local ANAC number
can go a long way, and if you can pull the cable pair that someone is
off of you can target them specifically, but yeah.

The biggest limitation with what he is proposing is the inability to
specify arbitrary ani/clid, and the fact that at some point you have to
physically go somewhere.  With voip you can be anywhere in the world
that has inet, you can pick and choose your access method and point, you
can use proxies to make traffic seem like its an entirely different
jurisdiction, and with some ITSPs set arbitrary clid/ani.  Thus I think
that beige boxing is much more limited to the types of mischief that
someone can do with voip.
Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200