[asterisk-biz] ANI

Miles Scruggs asterisk at wideideas.com
Mon May 12 20:10:54 CDT 2008

On May 12, 2008, at 4:05 PM, Nitzan Kon wrote:
> As a VoIP carrier - I do *not* let my customers set their own CID
> exactly for those reasons. However, I absolutely have to be able to
> set CID *myself* if I want to have any chance of surviving as a
> carrier.

There is the small possibility that you are on to something and the
other small carriers like AT&T who allow this behavior purposefully
are not going to survive.

> Now, how do you suggest we fix it without wiping out most small VoIP
> carriers out there? simply saying "we gotta ban it" is not going to
> magically fix things. It's just going to create more problems.

This isn't an issue isolated to small carriers, but rather the large
ones who deal with this since it is a significant portion of their
business model.  Do you know a lot of small carriers that do one way
aggregation for thousands of customers?