[asterisk-biz] ANI

Nitzan Kon nk3569 at yahoo.com
Mon May 12 20:08:01 CDT 2008

--- On Mon, 5/12/08, Trixter aka Bret McDanel <trixter at 0xdecafbad.com> wrote:

> well there may be records, but often and unfortunately they
> include only the false data :(

I see..

> tracing it back requires that the information for the call
> be recorded, some of which usually isnt in a way that makes
> it to the police.  Often the ani is logged and that is about it.
> Yes if they log the circuit it comes in on, all of the other
> information, tracing back could be a lot easier, but um yeah for
> some reason the phone companies generally dont log all that data.

Well, here you go for regulation - make them log it. :)

I'm pretty sure 100% of VoIP providers log such information and
could trace it back need be. No reason why the phone companies
shouldn't do the same. (except for cost and general ignorance)

> The only people that tried to argue that point (the govt
> accepted that was the case without question) were other phone
> companies who couldnt fathom that calls were placed by some other
> provider somewhere.

People entrenched in what they've been doing for years and years,
not surprising that they cannot grasp the concept...

> this doesnt give me a lot of faith in the call being
> properly traced,
> and since we do not yet live in a police state, the
> government cant just
> go in and take over the telephone company to trace it.  So
> even if there
> is a law enforcement agent that knows what they are doing,
> they would
> still have to deal with the phone company that may not.

Very true.

  -- Nitzan