[asterisk-biz] ANI

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Mon May 12 10:56:06 CDT 2008

On Fri, 9 May 2008, Steve Totaro wrote:

> I think you are missing the whole point here. CID and ANI are DIFFERENT.
>
> A law concerning passing valid CID should not be passed.  I have used
> it as a GUID between call centers.
>
> However, there should be a law against bogus ANI.

  So as a VoIP provider, what exactly is the ANI I should set?  A phone
  number in the LATA in which my server is located?  Any phone number I
  "own" or at least control?

  If a call is generated from my server as a direct result of another
  incoming call, what do I set the ANI to?

     A) Any phone number I control
     B) A single phone number I use for all outbound calls
     C) Who cares
     D) The phone number (if available) that was used to originate a call to
        my servers/switches
     E) Something else

  Based on this answer, do I need to force my DID origination partners some
  sort of letter to force them to pass some sort of "valid" ANI that may or
  may not be different to the CLID?

  The best reason for ANI spoofing with a different CLID is for billing.  If
  I can set the ANI to any number, or even a number I own, in the LATA to
  which I am terminating the call, I can get the lowest rates, while still
  setting CLID to something meaningful to the terminating party.

  If we can exploit this, and it's not illegal, maybe it will cause the
  incumbents to finally give up this inter/intralata pricing crap, get their
  act together and make all our lives a bit more simple.

  This whole phone system is so messed up... here we all are, running VoIP
  phone companies, and nobody seems to enforce, care, even know what the
  proper setup is, and what the ANI should be, or that any VoIP termination
  company on this list accepts or has rules on what the ANI can or cannot
  be, much less that they bill on anything other than CLID.

*headache*

Beckman