[asterisk-biz] ANI

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Sun May 11 22:50:20 CDT 2008

On 5/11/08, Miles Scruggs <asterisk at wideideas.com> wrote:

> On May 11, 2008, at 2:20 PM, Mike Hammett wrote:
>> Since when did the big boys not eventually get what they want from the
>> government?
>>

>>> On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 4:08 PM, Alex Balashov

>>> Well a government mandate would make the "Big Boys actually
>>> implement it."
>>>
>>> Let me spoof NSA with DHS ANI and visa versa using WiFi and a hacked
>>> asterisk box.
>>>
>>> E911 was mandated and is semi functional, the government just has to
>>> step in.  They only step in when there are votes on the line or money
>>> (and occasionally public safety, usually for PR reasons)
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Steve Totaro
>
> I don't get why you or anyone thinks we need a solution to this.  Just
> because something has capacity for exploitation doesn't mean we need
> the government to step in and define an implementation that removes
> the exploitation.  Someone else on this list is convinced that there
> are existing laws against it with penalties (I assume) for violation.
> This is pretty standard for any offenses against others: theft assault
> murder etc.  Asking the government to solve this issue, and enforce a
> solution would be like wanting them to enforce your ISP to check all
> emails leaving their clients to ensure they are actually coming from
> their subscribers.  Looks great on paper, and sure it would cut down
> on spam, but are you ready to bend over and take that up the.....
>
> Dear god am I the only person on this list who thinks the government
> (especially the US gov) is the last entity that we want solving issues
> and enforcing implementations?  I know they have great track record
> and are really good at that sort of thing......  Leave them exactly
> where they are good at.  Defining when it is wrong, and giving those
> that don't obey the smack down, but please don't go inviting them into
> play big brother.
>
> Miles

OK, what is your home number?

What happens when you are carted off to Guantanamo Bay by big brother,
while being denied due process?

Don't you know that the telcos have been in bed with big brother since
the at least the 50s and they invented the internet.

Have you heard of Echelon and Carnivore?  Come on now.  This has major
implications far more than stealing some credit card numbers, cash, or
bandwidth.  It just hasn't happened yet.....

Thanks,
Steve Totaro