[asterisk-biz] ANI

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Sun May 11 15:26:55 CDT 2008

On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 4:08 PM, Alex Balashov
<abalashov at evaristesys.com> wrote:
> Bill Michaelson wrote:
>
>> Miles Scruggs wrote:
>>> `
>>> Welcome to IP baby, you really can't lock it down using the
>>> traditional methods.  As much as you would like to think that the
>>> entity converting the IP to PSTN should/would/could/does correctly
>>> specify the absolute correct ANI/CID it is quite the opposite on a
>>> large scale.  Unless someone dreams up a new way to enforce or
>>> efficiently verify CID/ANI and the big boys actually implement it this
>>> isn't likely to change.
>>>

>> Digital signatures?  a la RSA?
>
> Clever, agile, and very ingenious and all-around open-source affirmative
> of you.  But you might have missed the "big boys actually implement it"
> part.  :-)
>
> --
> Alex Balashov
> Evariste Systems
> Web    : http://www.evaristesys.com/
> Tel    : (+1) (678) 954-0670
> Direct : (+1) (678) 954-0671
> Mobile : (+1) (706) 338-8599

Well a government mandate would make the "Big Boys actually implement it."

Let me spoof NSA with DHS ANI and visa versa using WiFi and a hacked
asterisk box.

E911 was mandated and is semi functional, the government just has to
step in.  They only step in when there are votes on the line or money
(and occasionally public safety, usually for PR reasons)

Thanks,
Steve Totaro