[asterisk-biz] ANI

Miles Scruggs asterisk at wideideas.com
Fri May 9 13:55:15 CDT 2008

I'm sorry but your experience is entrenched in the switched based PSTN
type facilities/termination.  Quite a few years ago major carriers
(Verizon, ATT, Qwest, Level 3 etc) have allowed termination to them
via IP. This is for customers that don't even have any DID with the
carrier (termination only).  How do you propose the carrier would be
able to verify the correctness of the CID being passed to them?  All
of these carriers simply pass along the CID/ANI which the customer
provides, and there is nor can their be any way to verify it.

Welcome to IP baby, you really can't lock it down using the
traditional methods.  As much as you would like to think that the
entity converting the IP to PSTN should/would/could/does correctly
specify the absolute correct ANI/CID it is quite the opposite on a
large scale.  Unless someone dreams up a new way to enforce or
efficiently verify CID/ANI and the big boys actually implement it this
isn't likely to change.

BTW there are actual telemarketing laws that will get you slapped if
you use CID spoofing in marketing.  Not sure who but someone just got
slapped with a $500k fine for doing it.  Google around I'm sure you'll
find it.

Miles