[asterisk-biz] ANI

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Fri May 9 12:07:17 CDT 2008

On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 12:59 PM, Steve Totaro
<stotaro at totarotechnologies.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 12:33 PM, Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 08:18:02AM -0700, Miles Scruggs wrote:
>>> This belief is limited to your experience with PRIs.  When you obtain
>>> SIP termination services from ATT, Verizon, or Level 3.  They have no
>>> way of verifying what ANI/CID you are sending.
>>
>> You don't *send* an ANI.
>>
>> Your carrier does.
>>
>> I'm pretty sure the FCC puts their foot down on this point, though I
>> can't cite chapter and verse.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> -- jra
>> --
>> Jay R. Ashworth                   Baylink                      jra at baylink.com
>> Designer                     The Things I Think                       RFC 2100
>> Ashworth & Associates     http://baylink.pitas.com                     '87 e24
>> St Petersburg FL USA      http://photo.imageinc.us             +1 727 647 1274
>>
>>             Those who cast the vote decide nothing.
>>             Those who count the vote decide everything.
>>               -- (Joseph Stalin)
>>

> I found this nugget that seems to verify that ANI spoofing is
> possible, especially using VoIP.  My setup is a LD T1 PRI, The test
> was done via VoIP as it was successful.  Actually the test call was
> done via all VoIP which explains it.  I am a TDM on the outside and
> VoIP on the inside so I was wrong and outside of my realm.
>
> http://www.asteriskvoipnews.com/asterisk_news/cidani_spoofing_on_voip_using_asterisk.html
>
> "What is Automated ANI / Caller ID spoofing?
> Automated ANI / Caller ID spoofing is setting the number you are
> calling from without the use of an operator / company PBX system. By
> far the easiest method thanks to the increasing take-up of internet
> telephony services are VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) service
> providers who allow you when using their service to set whatever
> caller ID you like (which is also used as ANI)."
>
> Let's see....
>
> Well I was wrong but this should not be.  I think the FCC needs to
> enforce and regulate this.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve Totaro

Re-reading this, providers have it all wrong and should be cracked
down on with fines or whatever.  ANI is not the same as Caller ID but
this quoted text indicates they are using one and the same.

I do know some VoIP providers that do not allow you to use a number
that is not allocated to you.