[asterisk-biz] VoIP 9-1-1 failure - don't let it happen to you

Drew Gibson aggibson at cogeco.ca
Mon May 5 10:22:10 CDT 2008

<-----SNIP ----->

> The VoIP 911 dispatcher remains on the line to ensure the call completes
> properly and is connected to the correct local dispatch centre.

Yes, this is how it works on paper, and 98% of the time in real life

> The only time the registered address is used on it's own without
> confirmation from the caller is when the caller hangs up, cannot speak,
> or can't remember their address.  In this case the local Police are
> dispatched and it becomes their problem to follow up and determine if
> there is an emergency or not.

This call was one of the marginal cases and this is the question I was
trying to ask. As with most emergencies, this situation was created by a
combination of failures.

Rightly or wrongly the current situation is that...

1. The customer expects the Telco to take care of 911 entirely, as they
always have in the past.

2. The VoIP provider expects the customer to update their 911 address,
as the provider cannot strictly control location (except the cable
providers such as Shaw Cable, through which the ambulance was correctly
dispatched)

I'll leave it to the lawyers to apportion blame but, in the mean time,
how is this disconnect being addressed by VoIP and 911 service providers?

regards,

Drew