[asterisk-biz] FW: Asterisk 3rd party developed commercial software sales licensing platform

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Mon May 5 09:43:22 CDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-05-05 at 08:51 -0500, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> Steve Totaro wrote:
>
> > I do not think Digium makes much off the sales of a G729 license and
> > it probably costs them after supporting it.  I think they do it to
> > provide a much needed component to Asterisk.  I do not really see
> > other 3rd party applications providing a "Licensed VoIP Standard" that
> > is so widespread in VoIP devices.
>
> Obviously I cannot disclose any numbers, but I can say with all
> certainty that Digium does not lose money selling G.729 codec patent
> indemnification licenses.

generic rates are available online, granted you get volume discounts but
it starts about $1/channel for g.729 and goes down to $0.10/license (or
at least it did last I checked, rumor is that the price is going down).

http://www.sipro.com is the licensing authority for the g.729 consortium
(they also do g.723.1) and have pricing sheets in pdf form on their
website if anyone is really interested in what the costs are.  Of course
you will have to guess what volume digium is doing and what program they
fell into (there are a couple and the price varies with them).
Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200