[asterisk-biz] VoIP 9-1-1 failure - don't let it happen to you

Trevor Peirce tpeirce at digitalcon.ca
Thu May 1 22:38:49 CDT 2008

C F wrote:
> You are sick to try to gain financially from this.

Let's look at the problem with VoIP and 9-1-1 for a moment.

Residential VoIP service can be offered by anyone with very minimal
investment. Because of this, many VoIP providers have only a few
subscribers, sometimes so few that they can be counted on one hand.
Those VoIP providers obviously cannot afford to pay up to thousands of
dollars per month to integrate with the telco to provide proper 9-1-1
support. Instead, they create work-arounds, speed dials, etc to give
"pseudo 9-1-1" that doesn't really work properly. One day someone needs
to reach help and can't so we see an article in mainstream media about
the tragedy.

I think it's in everyone's best interest including such VoIP providers
and their subscribers to ensure calls can be routed properly. I felt
that this tragedy might highlight the potential impact of choosing not
to offer proper 9-1-1 support.

I can't see anything sick about sharing information about a service that
can help save lives and I'm sorry it offended you.

Best regards,
Trevor Peirce