[asterisk-biz] Asterisk - SIP - H323 - IAX

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Wed Mar 19 18:34:15 CDT 2008

Seysan wrote:

> If yes, what have you used for H323 part? I'm not concerned about RTP
> Passing through the Asterisk Box (except maybe for IAX), and it is not used
> as an User Agent.

IAX2 does not use RTP. Asterisk is always a User Agent. SIP and H.323
channels using RTP will always start out with RTP flowing through the
Asterisk box, and based on my understanding of H.323, it is not possible
to redirect the RTP media to a different endpoint once the channel is setup.

In summary, while Asterisk is in a lot of ways 'like a softswitch', it
is not a softswitch.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
Director of Software Technologies