[asterisk-biz] USA Legal and regulatory issues

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Mon Mar 17 18:32:44 CDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 5:06 PM, Trixter aka Bret McDanel
<trixter at 0xdecafbad.com> wrote:

>  On Mon, 2008-03-17 at 16:45 -0400, Adam Moffett wrote:
>  > Hi.  We've been offering VoIP service with our internet service and as I
>  > understand that's ok because the FCC classified VoIP as an internet
>  > service and so you didn't have to go through any regulatory procedure.
>  > Correct me if I'm wrong on that please.
>  >

>  Yes no, they basically did a power grab and while its not 100% yet they
>  are trying to get it so that only they can regulate it.
>
>  They have since passed a few policies which applies to all
>  "interconnected voip providers" which is defined somewhere in the CFR
>  (if you do bi-directional telephone via voip to end users you probably
>  qualify)
>
>  1. You must provide 911 service
>  2. You must have support for CALEA (wiretap) stuff
>  3. You must contribute to USF (I think that your contribution has to
>  exceed $10k annually or you are exempt, but not 100%)
>
>  #3 requires a 499 form, which will of course get you a 499 number.  I am
>  also not 100% but I think you can just do the 499A (annual) and not
>  bother with the 499Q (quarterly).
>
>  So there are still some regulatory things that you have to do, but its
>  all mandated by the FCC, which is what they want.
>

>  > But where does the line get drawn?
>  >

>  Generally it gets drawn if you are a customer or a peer.  States have
>  their own BPU/PUC which regulates traditional telephone companies.  If
>  you want to be a CLEC then you would have to go through the BPU/PUC (and
>  the feds a bit, you have to do 499 filings, and a few other things).  If
>  you want to switch across LATAs then you would apply for IXC status
>  generally.
>

>  > I can lease T1's pretty cheaply, so if I lease a T1 to someone's
>  > premises, plug their end into their PBX, and plug my end into my
>  > asterisk box, am I now breaking the law?
>  >
>  Technically no, the circuit would be a fixed non-switched line.  I dont
>  think the states care that much since you are effectively a customer of
>  all the other phone companies.
>
>  This of course depends on the specific state in question, since they would
>  be regulating that.  I am sure somewhere there is a state that would have
>  issues with that, if for no other reason than they could tax you differently.
>

>  --
>  Trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com     Bret McDanel
>  Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200
>  http://www.trxtel.com the phone company that pays you!

Probably all the states shortly (maybe CA first) since all the coffers
are drying up and the one thing they really like to do is spend.

Getting OT, but I also expect internet sales tax to be across the
board too in a year or so.  What a mess that will be.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro