[asterisk-biz] USA Legal and regulatory issues

Adam Moffett adam at plexicomm.net
Mon Mar 17 15:45:15 CDT 2008

Hi.  We've been offering VoIP service with our internet service and as I
understand that's ok because the FCC classified VoIP as an internet
service and so you didn't have to go through any regulatory procedure.
Correct me if I'm wrong on that please.

But where does the line get drawn?

I can lease T1's pretty cheaply, so if I lease a T1 to someone's
premises, plug their end into their PBX, and plug my end into my
asterisk box, am I now breaking the law?

Now if I lease the same T1 and run SIP across it would that magically be
ok?

Or do I actually have to install an internet connection and run SIP on that?

Does anybody really know what's legal and what isn't?  Or rather, at
what point am I now a phone company and subject to regulation?