[asterisk-biz] Spec advice

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Mon Mar 17 13:08:37 CDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-17 at 13:18 -0400, Steve Totaro wrote:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/asterisk-users@lists.digium.com/msg199936.html
>
> Depending on your configuration, such as codec translation, TDM, etc
> will determine the amount of servers required.  I would think you
> could probably get it done with three good servers doing strictly SIP
> with same codec.

One thing that the 2 public posts seem to not ask is how many people are
actually in a given conference.  I had addressed this privately, along
with a couple ideas on how to accomplish this.

1 speaker and 1000 listeners does not require the same load as 1000
speakers, at least with 2 of the 4 major asterisk conferencing modules,
two I am unsure about.  Sample size for muxing also affects
performance.

Basically what was given results in guessing as to what was meant so
other than saying "1000 G.711 calls requires about 100Mbps" its
difficult to answer the other part of the question.

The features of the conference can also have an impact, for example
recording the conferences.

the way you would build out a system for 100 10 person conferences is
different than you would for a lecture style 1 speaker (or very few) and
a bunch of listeners, which is different from a (in my opinion) totally
unusable 1000 person all talking no one can hear anything conference.

I do however agree that a single system would not be able to handle 1000
conference users with asterisk, although there are other open source
solutions that could possibly do it pending the outcome of some of these
unknowns.

Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200