[asterisk-biz] Spec advice

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Mon Mar 17 09:52:43 CDT 2008

Well, as far as Asterisk goes, you won't get 1000+ concurrent callers or
1000 MeetMe rooms on a single box.  That is just not really possible,
especially given the intensity of the audio mixing required to make
MeetMe rooms happen.  You would have to build your infrastructure in a
distributed manner;  set up x amount of conferences on several machines
that are each only capable of having y users, and have a proxy or
something of the sort route the calls to the machines based on that
information.  Or, have the conference rooms dynamically created
according to need in a load-balanced manner.

I suppose it is also possible to bridge two conference bridges together,
technically, by stimulating an Originate command that has a kickback to
a MeetMe() cross-connect on the near end and the far end.  This would
theoretically allow you to have distributed conferences in which the
members are on multiple servers.  But I haven't tested how well this
works / if it is desirable in any way whatsoever.

Commercial solutions - there are lots of them, but they are all rather
expensive if you wish to install them out of the box, and on-premises,
and are difficult to work with and customise.  If all you need is a
conference bridge, you might want to consider purchasing it as a service
from someone who already provides it on a very large scale, such as
RainDance, etc., who I believe does it using TDM telephony gear.