[asterisk-biz] Looking for A-Z Terminiation

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Fri Mar 7 02:01:44 CST 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-06 at 15:57 -1000, Thermal Wetland wrote:
> I never keep straight if it is origination or termination

Strictly speaking origination is when you send a call setup to someone
else, termination is when they send one to you.  It is perspective
based, and I dont like it for that reason (one of my pet peeves).  For
example, you want someone who will TERMINATE the calls you ORIGINATE to
the PSTN.  The same call can have both meanings based on who is looking
at it.

Some people refer to it from the perspective of the PSTN (originate from
the pstn, terminate to the pstn), that perspective only fits certain
things and isnt applied the same by everyone, so you cant rely on it
unless you have prequalified what it means beforehand with something
like "originate calls to the pstn".  Alas many people never qualify it,
instead using it as though everyone will share their perspective and
they are implicitly asking for someone to have the opposite
perspective ...

Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200