[asterisk-biz] Cisco 7960 SIP upgrade

Jim Houser jhouser at trustamerifirst.com
Tue Mar 4 12:48:42 CST 2008

Mike,

  I am using a 7960 as my desk phone with Asterisk 1.2.26.  It WAS a pain to
upgrade but I found the key was to start at the oldest Cisco SIP firmware
available.  It would not eat any other version until I began from the
beginning.  I have yet to find time to get mine up to date.  I am running
application POS3-03-00, boot load PC030301.  You can find it on Cisco's site
since you have smartnet, (I also buy smartnet for every Cisco phone I will
be using).

  Overall I am VERY impressed.  I have used Grandstream :-(  Aastra :-)
Polycom :-) and Linksys :-) and Avaya :-) phones on Asterisk.  First place
for handset sound quality is a close tie between Polycom, Avaya, and Cisco.
Absolute first place for speaker phone is Polycom.  First place for easy
config is Aastra.  Last place for everything is Grandstream.  :-O

Good luck,
Jim

  _____