[asterisk-biz] Opinions requested: message blasting

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Wed Jun 25 10:49:33 CDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-06-25 at 11:08 -0400, John Mason Jr wrote:
> The key should be that you need to opt in to the "blast"
>
> John

Since you opened the can of worms :)

I do feel this is business related since it goes towards policy, some
companies for example will not set up a system to do this because of
potential legal issues, moral issues, etc, others who sell minutes may
opt to not sell minute to companies that do this type of stuff, and
without ever discussing the policy some may not realize that one should
be created in the first place.

opt-in is a grey line the way some use it.  Sure you bought medicine
from a company, gave your phone number for them to contact you, you may
have thought it was a one time thing but then the parmacy informs you
that its about time to refill.  While it was said here that is a good
use, and I do agree that it is a good use, some will not consider that
opting in.

Where does the line stop?  When is it opting in unknowningly and when is
it spam?  In addition to a prescription refill reminder could the
pharmacy also advertise other specials they may be having (most US
pharmacies carry a lot of non medicine stuff just so they can stay in
business).  You have proven yourself a business customer by buying a
prescription there in the first place.

Could those affiliates include people who are paying to place their ads
in the phone message?  The airline example I previously gave would be
better than prescriptions where with your itenary you get deals on car
rentals and hotels where you are traveling to.  Its still relevant, its
still helpful to some, and the person did opt into notification of their
travel plans by phone.

The system could be paid for with those ads potentially lowering the
consumer cost, it could also connect you to an operator willing to take
your order for these extra services.  This could also be a selling point
for those looking to get into this industry.  The names and numbers
wouldnt be sold to someone else, just the ad space on the phone, and it
could be done in a way to guarantee that someone listens to it, for
example
playing a greeting saying why you are calling
play a short ad
play the content that you wanted to deliver originally

In this way they have to listen to the ad to get the info they wanted.

Even with a good service it can quickly turn into something more than
imagined, and even with the opt-in part you may not fully understand
what you are opting into.  So I ask where is the line?

Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200