[asterisk-biz] New faxing protocol. Good/Bad ?

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Wed Jun 25 08:54:24 CDT 2008

The IEEE's Printer Working Group (PWG) was working on such a protocol.

Google for IEEE PWG IFX.

It was to use a (bitmap) PDF subset as the image format, and TCP as the
transport.  (I can't recall whether SCTP was considered as an alternative.)

AFAICT it failed due to a disconnect between two proponents:  one group
wanted to use it over the 'net and the other for communicating over the
LAN with multi-function devices.  The former wanted open inward calling
whereas the latter wanted to lock down the devices.

(I could be wrong about it failing, but that was the impression I got
from the mailing list.)

If you do want to do something different, use connection oriented
sockets (TCP or SCTP) rather than datagram sockets (UDP or DCCP) and
use PDF for the image format.

-JimC