[asterisk-biz] VoIP Provider

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Wed Jun 25 07:23:10 CDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 23:09 -0700, John van Oppen wrote:
> I should probably also point out that the public internet links also
> tend to be far larger than the private interconnections and thus
> infinitely easier to scale than needing to continually flip production
> voice traffic onto ever larger private circuits.

That may be however if its a true private link with a bandwidth
guarantee contention rates arent the same, and DDoS attacks and worms on
the net at large shouldnt affect their performance.  I am not talking
about just a VPN but a real circuit with real bandwidth guarantees.

If you get dark fiber for your private links then you can upgrade the
speed anytime you want by replacing the end equipment.  This allows you
to scale without contention.  Many ISPs have such a high contention
rate, especially the closer you get to being an end user, and why some
are now traffic shaping to control the bandwidth consumption issues.
They have oversold and people actually wanted to use what they bought.
This happens even on the internet at large.  Especially with specific
peering points.

> In this case, the network to which Miles is referring, has gigE to five
> providers and one public peering point and thus has sub 1ms latency to
> the networks of many of the major origination and termination players
> (via multiple paths) as such could easily be construed as better
> connected than a private link.

Ahh but "better connected" is a qualified statement, better connected to
whom?  A private link with guarnateed bandwidth may be better connected
to a POP that gets regional DIDs and forwards them off but not as well
connected to say average joe user.

Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200