[asterisk-biz] Opinions requested: message blasting

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Wed Jun 25 07:12:07 CDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 20:51 -0400, Cory Andrews wrote:
> Chris - I think it depends on the usage scenario....here in the states,
> automated outbound messaging is a popular tactic amongst political
> candidates to deliver campaign statements and GOTV messaging to
> registered voters.
>
> In the mid 90's it was used as a telemarketing lead gen tool, but has
> decreased in popularity due to DNC regulations in the states.

not DNC, but telemarketing in general, in the US its illegal to play a
recording for anything but religious and political messages.  So if they
want to generate leads or do sales they are only allowed to (and infact
required to) give very brief information that cannot include a sales
pitch (doesnt mean people dont do it, just means that they can be
reported and fined if they do).

> It's also a great tool for "value added" services like appointment
> reminders, school related notifications, group related notifications,
> service reminders, etc.  As a lead generation tool IMO its effectiveness
> is limited, and it is generally regarded in a similar manner as spam.

Doctors offices regularly use them to remind people of their
appointments to reduce missed ones.  A major US based online pharmacy
(yeah US based!) also does it to remind people their medication is on
its way so they know to expect it and report it missing if it does not
arrive.

In 1999-2000 I worked for a company that was selling systems to airlines
(and anyone else that would buy the entire system) that would let
consumers choose how to be notified of their travel plans, letting them
choose pager, fax, sms, voice, email, etc.

If people thought of message blasting like email lists they probably
wouldnt be so upset over it as a whole and rather only be upset over it
when its unsolicited and probably sales related.  Instead the average
person generally thinks of it as just phone spam because that is all
they think about and forget if they get such a call reminding them of a
real appointment or some other service.

Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200