[asterisk-biz] Opinions requested: message blasting

Andrew Kohlsmith (lists) aklists at mixdown.ca
Tue Jun 24 20:22:53 CDT 2008

On June 24, 2008 08:51:33 pm Cory Andrews wrote:
> Chris - I think it depends on the usage scenario....here in the states,
> automated outbound messaging is a popular tactic amongst political
> candidates to deliver campaign statements and GOTV messaging to
> registered voters.

I still think even for that purpose it sucks goat nad.  Go buy a radio, TV,
magazine, newspaper or web ad.  We (Canada) thankfully do not get campaign
statements through the telephone, but we do get annoying "Can MP/MPP Foo
expect your support in this election?" style telemarketing done by
volunteers.

> It's also a great tool for "value added" services like appointment
> reminders, school related notifications, group related notifications,
> service reminders, etc.  As a lead generation tool IMO its effectiveness
> is limited, and it is generally regarded in a similar manner as spam.

Yes, reminders of this nature are quite possibly the least obtrusive of all
applications.  Still, I prefer SMS or email reminders to a telephone call.
As the OP said, when I pick up the phone, I expect there to be a human being
on the other side.

-A.