[asterisk-biz] VoIP Provider

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Tue Jun 24 12:36:02 CDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 11:50 -0500, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> Trixter aka Bret McDanel wrote:
>
> > I think there is a symantic difference between T3 and DS3, although I
> > could be wrong.  I think that a T3 uses the T1 and T2 framing bits for
> > data, why a T1 is 1.544Mbps not 1.536Mbps.  Where a DS3 uses them for
> > framing.
>
> DS3 is the definition of how to frame and combine 28 DS1s into a single
> stream of bits; T3 is the definition of how to transport that over
> copper cabling. DS3 can be transported over other mechanisms as well
> (for example, three of them can be bundled together into a SONET OC3).

Ok, that clears up that, btw a DS3 has framing for both T2 and T1s,
where there are 4 T2s comprising of 7 T1s, these extra framing bits are
important if you are actually going to process a DS3, most leave it to
hardware and never see it, and almost no one ever uses a T2 by itself.

Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200