[asterisk-biz] VoIP Provider

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Tue Jun 24 11:10:03 CDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 11:56 -0400, Steve Totaro wrote:
> > The
> > internet is like voice in that you can have multiple termination, but
> > it gets better because you can also have multiple origination
> > providers as well.  So basically as long as you are buying high
> > quality transit from multiple providers and you are located in a good
> > data-center the chances you will experience problems is lower than if
> > you are using private links because those represent single points of
> > failure.
>
> You completely disregarded the very simple fact that you can have
> multiple private links.  Not sure why you omitted that obvious fact.
> You seem to know what you are talking about so the omission seems odd.

I would like to add to this that quality transit from multiple provider
only matters if both ends are well connected to each other.  If you have
one that is super well connected, but are forced to use only one
provider (such as at my parents house, rural area there is no cable,
there is only 1 telco provider that does broadband, and they only have 1
link to the net) that quality may be an issue.  While it may not be as
dramatic as that, if the peering between the end users ISP and the
companies that the ITSP are located is congested you will have a
horrible experience.  It may also be a tertariary provider between the
two in question, and as such there is little either can do to make it
better without a much larger expense.

Then there are the worms, DDoS attacks, etc that while they may not be
directed at you specifically, they can take out tertariary providers in
between "Alice" and "Bob" and cause problems that way.  Its hard to know
which links are already at 90% and which are at 10% usage, so its hard
to guage how easily you can be taken out.

I also agree with Steve in that its a good idea to reinforce as much as
possible that VoIP!=Voice over the Internet.  While that is probably the
largest way its used, its not required, despite many peoples beliefs.
By stating this often it can help to change peoples minds in how they
see VoIP.

> I see no less reliability, you are getting a T1 or T3 (naming
> conventions should be standard, so DS3 should be referred to as a T3)

I think there is a symantic difference between T3 and DS3, although I
could be wrong.  I think that a T3 uses the T1 and T2 framing bits for
data, why a T1 is 1.544Mbps not 1.536Mbps.  Where a DS3 uses them for
framing.

Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200