[asterisk-biz] VoIP Provider

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Mon Jun 23 21:19:42 CDT 2008

Maybe a bit of clarification about "Is it worth it?".

I have always gone by the TDM to the outside world viewpoint.  You
never know when that one call could be a huge opportunity calling and
I think I will stay with that viewpoint for at least a PRI or two.

I would hate to lose a deal because of crappy call quality or the call
never even hitting my switch.  Sure, that could and has happened VERY
rarely with TDM, I could count it on one hand with PRI on a circuit
that has been turned up for a while and no change orders.

At one point in a previous life, we were evaluating what call center
to outsource our Spanish calls to.  One of the contenders setup a
conference bridge and the quality was terrible, then some random woman
got on the call and kept saying "hola, hola, hola".  This was a poor
VoIP setup and made them look terrible.  At least use a solid TDM
connection for initial sales calls.

Well I have signed up with Junction for testing and got a call from a
gentleman named Tim within minutes of signing up.  I already have a
Vitelity account.  I will sign up for Teliax and others that have
contacted me on and offlist.

I will probably setup a regular and also random dialout loop routine
using many of the various VoIP providers and use Emperix Hammer with
ULAW, recording any outages and the quality of voice.

I still have a month and a half before my PRIs renew for a year and
now Qwest is offering month to month (only because I put in a
disconnect order) which will give me more time as well.

The proof will be in the testing.  15mb up and down business FIOS with
little to no traffic on the link other than VoIP traffic and server
maintenance.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro