[asterisk-biz] Seeking Collaboration in Development and Validation of an Anomaly Detection System for Asterisk

Hira Agrawal hira at research.telcordia.com
Wed Jun 11 21:00:46 CDT 2008

>> > Our approach involves examining "events" that get generated as a
>> side > effect of normal call processing and analyzing them, or some
>> appropriate > transformations of those events, against "normal",
>> expected application > behavior.
> so its like systrace.org?  A free open source security tool that lets
> you filter system calls limiting what can be called, which arguments are
> valid, how many times a particular thing can be called, what sections of
> the filesystem are allowed, etc?
It is like systrace.org, except that it enables "policies" to be defined
in terms of higher, application level events such as AMI events or AGI
calls, instead of restricting them to be defined in terms of lower,
operating system level system calls. Thus, unlike systrace.org, which
can be attached to any process, our monitor is more application
specific. Its underlying infrastructure, once ready, can, however, be
easily adapted to other applications provided they make appropriate
management interfaces available. The upside of doing this is that many
more application level policies, such as what types of calls are allowed
or not allowed (irrespective of the the underlying dialplans), can be
defined and enforced than would otherwise be possible.

-- Hira.