[asterisk-biz] Open letter to digium, asterisk developers and consultants

Matthew Rubenstein email at mattruby.com
Mon Jun 9 16:14:45 CDT 2008

	I'm not sure that a trademark on "Asterisk" prevents anyone else from
saying their product "works with Asterisk", or "is compatible with
Asterisk". The trademark prevents anyone else from calling their own SW
PBX by the name "Asterisk", to prevent consumers in the market confusing
the new product with Digium's. But if the other product is in fact
compatible with Asterisk, as advertised, or otherwise is related to
Asterisk, but is not marketed confusingly *to be Asterisk*, trademark
doesn't prohibit using the word descriptively. Digium has no control
over that.

	At least for things that aren't a SW PBX. A fork is a different story.
I don't know whether trademark prohibits that use of "Asterisk" or not.
Because "a fork" means "is not the same as the original", but in a way
that means "better than the original" (as it is used). A new version of
Asterisk, like v1.8, from Digium, is no different as a "fork" than is
some other developer/distributor's revision that is derived from the
earlier Asterisk sources. Since a fork from a different
developer/distributor competes with Digium's Asterisk, it cannot be
called "Asterisk". But I'm not sure that it cannot be marketed as
"competes with Asterisk".

	However, I'm pretty sure that this has been resolved in the courts.
Even though it's HW, not SW, the "100% IBM Compatible" PC clone
marketing in the 1980s comes to mind. The HW example is probably an even
stronger case, though perhaps the greater mutability of SW than HW, and
the GPL that is designed to foster that mutability and sharing of SW,
and the lack of patents on the SW (which did encumber the IBM PC) all
make an even stronger case for using the word "Asterisk" to compete with
Digium, as long as "Asterisk" is used to identify the Digium product,
and not misleadingly to identify the competing product. The trademark
law takes into account that consumers understand English, and that the
trademark is not some kind of hypnotic mind control that makes the
consumer buy no matter what context it's used in.

On Mon, 2008-06-09 at 12:00 -0500, asterisk-biz-request at lists.digium.com

--

(C) Matthew Rubenstein