[asterisk-biz] PBX Functionality for Less than the Price of a KeySystem (3Com Asterisk IP Telephony Appliance)

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Thu Jun 5 14:00:49 CDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 1:56 PM, Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 01:21:29PM -0400, Steve Totaro wrote:
>> But the most compelling argument against your markup is the fact that
>> you must purchase support separately from the system, so how would
>> that affect the price of the base system?
>
> ZOMG.
>
> The topic, Steve -- *my* topic: the thing I said I was talking about --
> was "Why is the markup so much higher on telephony hardware than on
> PC's?"
>
> Just that.
>
> Not any of the 57 varieties everyone seems to want to rewrite it into.
>
> I wasn't talking specifically about this 3com system, nor about NBX.
>
> And as it happens, a friend of mine who works for a wholesaler client
> is one of those 3com certified tech, so yes, I know what they put them
> through.
>
> How do you think his employers pay his salary, pray tell?
>
> Cheers,
> -- jra

ZOMG!!!!!!!! Sounds like a script kiddie.  Profanity made you look
unprofessional, and telling lies on the list is the last straw.  I
certainly would not do business with you.

I think to become 3Com certified, the cost is ~$1000 and three days to
a weeks.  Maybe more because my employer paid for it and I didn't pay
attention because the system was PnP.

What does this mean, "Not any of the 57 varieties everyone seems to
want to rewrite it into." is it reference to Hienz, either way it
makes no sense

Hourly rate, just like I said before.  I don't mark up commodity
hardware.  I bill by the hour period.  Pure profit and less headache.

Last point that should pretty much put your assertions to rest are
that almost all IP and Hybrid PBXes are PCs.  Ever open an NBX 100 or
V3000?  It is a PC complete with flash card, CPU, memory.  The NEC IPK
is the same although not what you would consider a standard PC, but
all the same components, they are just slide in cards like PCI.

Get with the paradigm shift, or go down like the recording industry.
If they came up with Napster before everyone knew it was free, they
still would be in the money.....

Anyways, all your points are moot.  Period.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro

PS, you never answered the cost issue and you cannot.  The bottom line
is that it is that status quo, and not for long.  Get left in the dust
if you want to.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro