[asterisk-biz] PBX Functionality for Less than the Price of a KeySystem (3Com Asterisk IP Telephony Appliance)

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Thu Jun 5 11:42:19 CDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 12:22 PM, Andrew Kohlsmith (lists)
<aklists at mixdown.ca> wrote:
> On June 5, 2008 12:04:36 pm Trixter aka Bret McDanel wrote:
>> But hey you did do this to yourself, so you have no one to blame but
>> yourself.  If you didnt lie, the lie wouldnt have been caught, it
>> wouldnt have been pointed at, illuminated for all to see, it would have
>> instead never happened.
>>
>> So all I can say is you have lied multiple times on this list, you have
>> denied those lies later on, and you have been caught doing it, you have
>> proved your skills.  This probably wont be the last time you do this
>> here either, I certainly wouldnt hold my breath for you to be an honest
>> person.
>
> Bret/Jay... Can't you guys just *plonk* each other into your own personal
> killfiles and be done with it?  I don't pretend to speak for the community
> here but I am willing to put money on the fact that it is you, Bret, and only
> you, who cares about illuminating whatever Jay is or isn't lying about, and
> you, Jay, who feels that any response is necessary.  Nobody else is getting
> involved in the thread, nobody is asserting or negating claims except the two
> of you.  It's not even about the original topic anymore... it's about public
> appearance and arguing about arguing!
>
> We're all adults here; if I don't want to associate with someone won't. I
> certainly don't need someone pointing out someone else's flaws and faults for
> me, "just in case."  If I'm too stupid to see a problem, well... stupidity
> should be painful.  I don't need the kind of "guardian angel" service that
> you're trying to provide.
>
> You're both pretty vocal people on this list, and have both provided a lot of
> data in the past.  It's clear you can't get along, and it's clear you're both
> technical enough to know how to employ killfiles. Just *plonk* each other and
> get on with the telephony talk, please!
>
> This is getting as bad as LKML...
>
> -A.

I originally posted this to show that this product is now being sold
and marketed, and to elicit feelings from the community.  There really
was no direction for the thread, just people stating opinions, one way
or another.

Agreed that this has turned into a 5th grader flame war, but people do
need to be called out when they lie.

I for one (and the original poster) was curious why Jay claimed the
markup had to be so high.  Personally, I just charge an hourly rate,
not to go over X many dollars.  I don't sell boxes, I sell solutions
and support for those solutions.  I usually have the customer call my
guy at CDW or PCConnection and order what I tell them, so there is no
markup on hardware.

I offered overhead as a reason for the high price 3Com was charging
and Jay used profanity to dismiss my explanation.  Well if it isn't
overhead, then what is it Jay?

I am with Bret on this one.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro