[asterisk-biz] PBX Functionality for Less than the Price of a KeySystem (3Com Asterisk IP Telephony Appliance)

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Tue Jun 3 11:01:08 CDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 10:45 AM, Trixter aka Bret McDanel
<trixter at 0xdecafbad.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-06-03 at 10:02 -0400, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
>> I would assume that's retail, yes.
>>
>> Computer people, and in my experience even Asterisk people, tend to
>> forget how high the markup is on packaged telephony gear -- and more to
>> the point, *why* it's that high.
>
> ok, why not providing some information since we all forget why its that
> high, can you provide some information regarding that?

Because that has always been the status quo.  "We are the Big Ole
Expensive Phone Company".

But in this case, 3Com has distribution chains established,
advertising materials, sales people, rent, insurance, entertainment
budgets, retirement packages, VIP salaries....

This means that at some point, I can probably run down the road to
Target Distributing and pickup a system with phones, it's about 30
miles away if that is what a customer demands.

If not, I can use 3Com's sales material to prove Asterisk is "Ready"
and out sell that little box with a real server, more functionality,
customization, and profit to me time and time again.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro