[asterisk-biz] GSM Gateways that do sane things with SMS

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Thu Jul 17 14:36:46 CDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-07-17 at 15:25 -0400, Bill Michaelson wrote:
> Trixter aka Bret McDanel wrote:
> > There are many examples for each phone operating system that supports
> > this functionality, so writing it shouldnt be that hard.  And with
> > control via bluetooth you can just toss it in a drawer with power and
> > call it a day :)
> >
> > This really shouldnt take that long to do, someone with free compilers,
> > a free web browser and using free google should be able to get all that
> > they need to create and deploy such a solution.  All the phones have
> > hooks for intercepting sms, calls, and placing the same - so you can
> > just build a simple interface, and if the phone has wifi you can stream
> > the audio that way, or you can use bluetooth to achieve the same
> > results.  Bluetooth can be more tricky if the phone doesnt support the
> > PAN profile though, but its possible.
> >
> What would you charge to do it on my Treo 650 for use with T-Mobile?

the carrier doesnt matter, and to some degree the network type doesnt
matter, all that matters is that the phone allows arbitrary apps to be
loaded onto it (some phones are locked so you cant aside from what you
buy from the carrier - lawsuits have ensued over this technique but I
dont think it did away with it 100%).

How about this, since it would probably be better to do this more as a
group thing, if everyone interested in (ab)using their mobile phones and
to some degree phone plans (like tmobile my fav) emails me the phone
model and if known the operating system that it runs (like for nokia
system 40/60).

Note that I *cannot* do this easily on things like the sidekick where
you dont own the apps on it, the carrier does and you cant install them
without the carrier blessing.

Once I know how many are interested, what phones (which may dictate a
different approach), etc I can better decide what the price would be for
this, it would also mean that the price can be spread out to more people
than just one.

There will be 2 parts effectively, the asterisk/etc side and the phone
side, both would be required for proper operation.

Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200