[asterisk-biz] GSM Gateways that do sane things with SMS

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Thu Jul 17 11:36:33 CDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-07-17 at 17:16 +0100, Andy Davidson wrote:
> hi,
>
> I often see inexpensive GSM Gateways offered for sale that will pass
> calls destined to the number associated with an inserted SIM to a voip
> platform like a company Asterisk server.  I have someone who wants a
> GSM gateway to forward calls to his voip platform when he is
> traveling, so that calls to his mobile number can be answered by his
> PA or forwarded to accommodation abroad.
>
> However, this person receives a lot of SMS messages, and therefore a
> gsm gateway needs to forward messages received, ideally via HTTP post
> to a custom system, but via email is fine too.  The ability to send
> smses through the gsm gateway by http post, or some other means would
> be handy.

I would suggest sip IM since the device already speaks sip, but then
asterisk probably doesnt do that (it didnt last time I checked) so odds
are something else would be required.

> Any suggestions for such a device ?

Care to elaborate a bit more on what you are looking for as there are a
variety of choices.  Basically a single channel unit will really just be
a mobile phone in a different package (although technically you could
use a cheap mobile phone and just toss some software on there to
intercept calls and SMS messages, bridge it to say a linux box via
bluetooth, and create a simple signalling system for it, shouldnt be
that much work especially on most phones today that support either j2me
or native like windows mobile or iphone (darwin)).

You can have a standalone device with ethernet, pccard, pci card
(usually these have 4 SIM slots though), or a varity of other things.
The form factor you desire can help lower the total number of devices
for this job.

Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200