[asterisk-biz] NPA-NXX to City, State Database

Matthew Rubenstein email at mattruby.com
Thu Jan 31 16:35:28 CST 2008

	I can't help you with LERG DB lookups. But I'm a New Yorker. I can tell
you that the only literal *city* here is "New York, NY", though
sometimes called "New York City, NY". It's composed of 5 boros (how we
spell "boroughs"), which are municipal subdivisions that are also state
counties. Inside each county are neighborhoods that sometimes were
legally independent cities before being amalgamated into some other
city, as Flatbush was into Brooklyn, before that city was amalgamated
into NYC sometime in the past few centuries, so the USPS (and Google,
and others) recognize "cities" like "Queens Village", even though
they're not cities. The boros don't all have the same name as the county
to which they are equivalent: "Brooklyn" is "Kings County", "Manhattan"
is "New York County", "Staten Island" is "Richmond County", but the
Bronx and Queens are "Bronx County" and "Queens County", respectively.

	To be completely pedantic, Manhattan is the only boro that is not
exactly the same as the geographic area with its name. Marble Hill used
to be part of Manhattan Island until we straightened the S-shaped Harlem
River, leaving one lobe attached to the Bronx but severed from the
island. Manhattan of course refused to give up the real estate, so it's
still part of New York County.

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 16:59 -0500, Peter Beckman wrote:
> OK, So I have the LERG.  It's ugly.  NWYRCYZN02 is not pretty.  Neither is
> "NEW YORK METRO NY".  Some entries state "BROOKLYN" or "QUEENS" or
> something else.  I want an NPA-NXX database that corresponds to a valid
> USPS City, State.
>
> What do YOU use to tell your customers who do not understand what a rate
> center is WHERE a DID/DDI is "located?"  Is there a database other than the
> LERG you rely on?  Who has the best and most accurate data?  _IS_ there a
> source of accurate data?
>
> The biggest problem I have is that for large metro areas, New York, NY for
> example, it covers a lot of territory. If "Bronx, NY" is a valid city,
> state combo for the USPS, it's good for me.  But there is no Queens, NY
> that I can find.  Queens is a county, (queens village and queensbury, ny do
> exist), but not a city like Bronx.
>
> Did you know that Manhattan, NY and Queens, NY do NOT exist according to
> the USPS, but Staten Island, Bronx and Brooklyn, NY do?  Talk about
> confusion.
>
> Beckman

(C) Matthew Rubenstein