[asterisk-biz] Fonality Teams with Dell

Lacy Moore aspendora at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 20:03:49 CST 2008

On Jan 23, 2008 5:26 PM, Kevin P. Fleming <kpfleming at digium.com> wrote:
> Trixter aka Bret McDanel wrote:
>
> > Even if it werent clear they dont *have* to, infact if there is a
> > modification to the code base other than for interoperability you *cant*
> > make it clear that its based on asterisk.
>
> I know it's a subtle point, and I am not a lawyer nor do I wish to start
> a flamewar, but the trademark policy does not mean they cannot claim it
> to be 'based on Asterisk', they just cannot call it 'Asterisk' without
> acknowledging that it is in fact a different product from what Digium
> distributes and calls 'Asterisk'. In fact Digium would encourage them to
> proudly claim that it is based on Asterisk!
>
> --
Thanks for clarifying that.  I thought the same as Bret when I read
that.  I was not aware that you could use 'based on Asterisk'.  It
seemed to me that you could not use the work Asterisk at all unless it
is the genuine pure source, and that, marketing-wise, is not good.
I'm sure legal-wise it is good.

.

> Kevin P. Fleming
> Director of Software Technologies
> Digium, Inc. - "The Genuine Asterisk Experience" (TM)

Lacy Moore
Somewhere I wish I wasn't