[asterisk-biz] Futures of the telecoms business.

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Sun Jan 27 11:51:47 CST 2008

On Sun, 2008-01-27 at 17:44 +0000, Tim H. Panton wrote:
> It is true that a lot of what he says is old news
> to this list. But there were a couple of points I
> found new:
>
> 5x9s availability needs to extend to include
> sucessfully reaching the right person!

that doesnt figure into anything in the way most telecoms rate their
gear.  As long as you keep the call up, even if what its connected to
(ivr for example) is blown away, if the call isnt hung up its considered
up.  So 5 9's uptime just means that while the ivr/voicemail/etc got
blown away, you didnt hang up on someone is a bit weak.

There are solutions that arent that difficult to do that would give you
the ability to keep calls up even beyond a complete failure of the box,
and could trivially be applied to asterisk (although when I made mine I
didnt use asterisk as its base, it doesnt require modification to the
app so it should work).  This would guarantee that if someone is leaving
a voice mail for example and the box catches on fire, the failover could
continue and teh caller wouldnt even realize that something happened.
This would work for applications as well as bridged calls that would be
performed on the box.

I am in the process of debating how I want to release this information,
whether just release it and let everyone use it as they see fit or part
of a sold solution.  I am starting to lean towards just releasing the
information, but have not yet made any firm determination yet.

Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200