[asterisk-biz] Futures of the telecoms business.

Matthew Rubenstein email at mattruby.com
Sun Jan 27 10:02:34 CST 2008

	Lewis says telcos don't innovate and always accidentally caught up with
outside innovation, that telcos act like they've got a "god given right"
to make profits just because they've invested money in networks. That IP
"telephony" is really beyond telephony into "the future of
communications", that the IP convergence is where new money will come
from as voice and SMS profits decline. That there's huge new
opportunities that telcos aren't able to even think about tapping, or
care about until others show how. That voice is about to change after
100 years, in combination with some other info, the huge oppportunity.

	That telcos have concentrated on merely building infrastructure, and
not on exploitation of how people use it. And that the future will
require building lots more network capacity.

	In short, nothing anyone on this list doesn't already know. If he's a
"telecom visionary", no wonder the telcos (where he was R&D director for
Orange for 6 years) are in the shape he's in. His talk could have been
given 5 years ago. I guess it's valuable for marketdroids, telco execs
and all the rest still not noticing that the voice networks are now open
to innovation like the Internet was open with the Web in the 1990s. But
that just shows how far they all have to go, which I'd expect everyone
on this list already knows.

On Sun, 2008-01-27 at 12:24 +0000, Tim H. Panton wrote:
> I've just listened to a great podcast
>
> http://www.ecommmedia.com/2008/downloads/audio/2008-01-17-norman-lewis-interview-part1-64.mp3
> Where Norman Lewis talks about the future of the telecoms business.
>
> Well worth a listen if you want to know what might happen in the next few years.
>
> It's part of a series that lead up to ecommmedia conference in March.
> http://www.ecommmedia.com/
>
> I'm speaking too, but it is going to be hard to compete with Norman !
>
> Tim.

(C) Matthew Rubenstein