[asterisk-biz] Fonality Teams with Dell

Gregory Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Wed Jan 23 14:31:05 CST 2008

>Greg,
>How could Digium make the sale?
>Do they have a "out of the box" consumer product that runs on Dell boxes?
>Sure they should/could build one, but they didn't.

Switchvox runs fine on most Dell hardware. It's simply a matter of ensuring
that the chipsets are compatible. Digium is a little more picky about this
than Sangoma, but I have used Digium hardware in Dell servers w/out incident
in the past. Yes, it requires some testing and engineering, but surely this
can be accomplished.

> Besides, Fonality has an ongoing revenue model, Digium doesn't.

Switchvox can easily provide a per-seat, per-month, per -channel licensing
model, and the yearly support renewals for Switchvox certainly DO provide a
recurring revenue model. The industry is starting to shift to "Software as a
Service" models anyway, so this is something that could easily be achieved
w/ Switchvox.

>The game is not over yet, there are other companies with strong
distribution channels (HP, Cisco, Panasonic etc.)
>But first they have to decide if they want to play the game.
>Digium could do a Fonality type model, or a MySQL model, but they have to
do more than just sell cards!

>3com just can't compete with Dell. How many small business owners (or the
VARS that sell to them) speak every day
>to Dell and how many to 3com? Who has a bigger support organization geared
to the SMB market?

>I am cheering for Digium, but they need to move faster....

All points I agree with. HP and IBM could be excellent partners for Digium
to go to market with using Switchvox, but they do have to move quickly.