[asterisk-biz] Digium enforcing its trademarks

David Boyd dboyd at ignitetrx.com
Fri Jan 18 08:58:59 CST 2008

On Fri, 2008-01-18 at 10:47 +0000, Tony Mountifield wrote:
> In article <BAE1F339-63F3-43DA-BD06-E6474C010901 at mac.com>,
> Brian West <brian.west at mac.com> wrote:
> > Yet another reason I ran away from Asterisk
>
> So what are you doing on this list then?
>
> Cheers
> Tony

Tony,

in the business world understanding what the competition is doing is
important. Gaining knowledge of the issues that are causing discord is
also valuable, like the issues occurring now with the Asterisk
Trademark. I don't like most of the world news, but I still listen to
the news reports. I also am subscribed to several lists, not because I
am tied to them, but because I don't want to operate in a total vacuum,
and find that there are opinions and ideas much to my chagrin that are
better or at least more knowledgeable than my own.

Your post seems to indicate that you have no issues with the direction
being taken by Digium, if this is so, I hope you have some sort of
guarantees that will protect your future business interests in the
Asterisk Product. I have been taught (Maybe incorrectly) that the only
person who is going to take care of you is yourself, and there is no
reason that Digium should not take care of themselves, however I would
prefer to see them do it in a way that does not cause damage to the
community  that helped make them successful.

Dave