[asterisk-biz] IAX Channels limit on Asterisk 1.4.17

Stephen Davies stephen.l.davies at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 06:11:48 CST 2008

On 16/01/2008, Nitzan Kon <nk3569 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> After doing some googling I think I found your problem.. if you look in
> chan_iax2.c you'll see there is a hard-coded limit of 256 channels:
>
> } else if (iaxthreadcount > 256) {
> ast_log(LOG_NOTICE, "limiting iaxthreadcount to 256\n");
> iaxthreadcount = 256;
>
> and:
>
> } else if (iaxmaxthreadcount > 256) {
> ast_log(LOG_NOTICE, "Limiting iaxmaxthreadcount to 256\n");
> iaxmaxthreadcount = 256;

Hi,

You have a misunderstanding.  chan_iax does not use one thread per call.  It
has a pool of threads, and allocates them on an as-required basis when it
has frames to process or other tasks.

So there's no reason why 256 active calls should mean 256 threads in use.
 Seeing each call only has a packet arriving every 20 milliseconds, and
packets usually take much less than that time to process, usually much fewer
than 256 threads will be in use.

We have a customer who runs up to 500 concurrent IAX calls on Asterisk
1.4.10.1.  So at that version, at least, you can go to more than 256 calls.

Regards,
Steve