[asterisk-biz] Digium enforcing its trademarks

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Thu Jan 17 17:33:29 CST 2008

On Jan 17, 2008 6:20 PM, Brian West <brian.west at mac.com> wrote:

> On Jan 17, 2008, at 5:07 PM, Jared Smith wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2008-01-14 at 06:33 -0800, Flavio Goncalves wrote:
> >> I have received today a notice of disaproval of my ad in Google
> >> Adwords, because it was using the word Asterisk (A Digium´s
> >> trademark).

> > Digium trademarked terms, Digium has recently expanded our efforts to
> > control the use of Digium's trademarks.  One the measures taken has
> > been
> > to work within Google's defined programs to control the purchase of
> > Digium trademarked terms as Google Adwords.  In doing so we
> > proactively
> > provided Google with a list of companies that have signed agreements
> > with Digium permitting the use of Digium trademarks.  Organizations on
> > that list will continued to be allowed by Google to purchase Digium
> > trademarked terms as Google Adwords.
> >
> > However, if your organization has been recently been contacted by
> > Google
> > and required to stop using the Digium marks, you may contact Digium
> > directly to request that your company be added to the list of
> > authorized
> > organizations.
>

> You shouldn't have to contact Digium for such use cases as "Asterisk
> Compatible" or "Works with Asterisk".
>
> /b

You are right but Google does not want to be in the middle and neither would
I.

I just wonder what are the criteria to get Google AdWords approval from
Digium if you are not formally Digium authorized or whatever.

Jared said you can request approval by "address[ing] with some history of
your past use and the specifics of your request for the future."

I for one will not lock myself into selling a particular product unless it
is best for the customer or what the customer specifically wants.  That
would bar me from being formally Digium authorized.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro