[asterisk-biz] Rugged Wifi SIP phones

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Thu Jan 17 11:27:16 CST 2008

Hi folks,

We're looking for wifi SIP phones to use with our Asterisk PBX in a
manufacturing environment.  We are presently using the Hitachi ones.
While they are fine for office use, they are not rugged enough for
factory use.

Does anyone have suggestions on phones that are rugged enough to use
in a factory?

And equally important, can they be provisioned in bulk via Linux?

Most of the SIP phones I've used, both wired and wireless, can be
configured to download provisioning information via plain text or XML
files stored on an  FTP, TFTP, or HTTP server.  The one rugged wifi
SIP phone I've seen so far "maybe" can do that according to the
salespeople, but they really are trying to push me into some Windows
dock provisioning thingy.  Ugh.

-- John