[asterisk-biz] Res: 2008 Predictions

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Fri Jan 4 10:08:16 CST 2008

On Fri, 2008-01-04 at 07:49 -0600, Russell Bryant wrote:
> Flavio Goncalves wrote:
> > Patches, patches and patches, because Digium will not commit most of
> > them to the source code.
>
> I disagree with this prediction.

> I would estimate that about 1/3 of the 2960 issues were community patch
> submissions.  Then, about 95% of the remaining portion were bug reports that
> required development effort to debug and fix.  The other few were closed without
> any commit for one reason or another (configuration issue, for example).
>
> So, "Digium will not commit most of them to the source code".  Do you actually
> think that we have some intention to not serve the developer community?  I know

You never actually countered his argument, there were smoke and mirrors
to avoid it, but never actually counter it.

Lets review:
 you "guessed" that 1/3 were community patches, this means the other
    percentages are guesses too
 you "processed" issues - that doesnt mean that the patches were applied

Now I dont know if those numbers are accurate or not, I havent actually
gotten real stats on it.  I do know that the assertion made was
challenged and focus diverted, which makes me personally suspect the
challenge.  Its like the chewbacca defense when you state you disagree
with something and talk around the issue instead of being direct about
it.

> that a lot of this type of work isn't very visible, unless you really go looking
> in the svn commit history,

SVN keeps a revision history, that would have instantly said how many
commits were performed last year.  While it wouldnt be a direct 1:1 for
the bug tracker, since someone may commit stuff multiple times during
the course of their work, there may be commits that dont have an issue
in the bug system, it would help to justify that there were close to
3000 bugs that were resolved.

Now the bug tracking software probably has the ability to sort based on
date ranges and resolutions so that could probably get better numbers
for how many (based on the guess 5% of 2/3 of almost 3000 or about 100
that were closed without commit)

As I do not have information to the contrary but have seen bugs get
comments in the bug system saying "happy birthday" when they are over a
year and a patch has been constantly ported forward and ready to go, I
kinda lean towards the they dont get committed side.
Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200