[asterisk-biz] 2008 Predictions

Scott Plante splante at insightsys.com
Thu Jan 3 12:37:46 CST 2008

Digium owns the copyright, but licensed the code under GPL. So if Digium
quit the open source project to only improve a proprietary version, the
project would just fork and others would most likely carry on with that.
As it turns out, the project has already forked:
  http://wiki.openpbx.org/tiki-index.php

So Asterisk users who want to remain open source would likely switch to
that project. They wouldn't have to re-write Asterisk. However, because
of this, Digium is
very unlikely to quit open source. Besides, I'd say Mark Spencer would
have to be bought out first because he'd never allow it.

Scott