[asterisk-biz] Wall Mounted Asterisk Appliance

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Fri Feb 29 10:15:15 CST 2008

On Fri, 2008-02-29 at 11:06 -0500, Steve Totaro wrote:
> Code words for "how do I build one?"
>
> I suggest answering what the box is capable of handling and leaving
> the hardware specifics out.  I have no idea what is in a 3com V3000, I
> know it runs VxWorks, has a hard drive, MB, and doesn't use much RAM
> but that is about it.

well what its capable of depends largely on what its doing.  For example
at least with asterisk 1.2 (I havent looked since) res_js was faster and
used less ram than the regular dialplan.  res_js is a module that embeds
spidermonkey (mozillas javascript engine) which lets you write asterisk
apps in javascript.  The comparison was mostly fair, it did the same
basic things, although there was more error checking in the javascript
side than in the dialplan, even with the extra checking it ran more
calls, and spent less cpu time than if it were just the normal dialplan.

So even something as basic as how do you route a call can vary.

If it runs a conference, which one?  There are at least 3 or 4 major
asterisk conference modules, and they all take different amounts of cpu.

Now if its just supposed to be a SIP gateway then that is a little
different, although that does not mean that it has to be confined to
just that.

Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200