[asterisk-biz] XO SIP Service ?

Craig Guy craig.a.guy at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 08:45:18 CST 2008

Don't have operational experience with XO, but can vouch for Asterisk
interoperation with Level3.  I have completed interop for Local Inbound and
have it running in production.  I am about to start interop for TollFree
w/SIP termination and Voice termination (outbound) and don't expect any
problems.  Local inbound interop was achieved with Asterisk 1.4 behind
OpenSBC, however it would also have worked fine without the SBC.

Voice quality is rock solid, shortcomings are the up front cost.  There was
nothing in interop that couldn't be addressed through extensions.conf

As for problems, well as someone mentioned earlier, these large
organisations can be slow and frustrating to deal with, however Level3 have
jitter, packet loss and latency SLAs.

I was comparing Level3 and XO for local inbound product last year and whilst
XO was definitely cheaper for small to moderate call volumes, Level3 had
better USA coverage and was cheaper for higher concurrent call volumes where
they charge per megabit and per minute.

I would be happy to talk further about my experience by email if anyone
wishes.

Craig