[asterisk-biz] Grandstream v. Polycom

Drew Gibson drew at oanda.com
Mon Feb 11 09:43:03 CST 2008

Thomas Kenyon wrote:
> Rob Peck wrote:
>
> Grandstream sadly have the habit of releasing broken firmwares, and
> there are notoroiusly some phones with faulty hardware (which get replaced).

We've given up on Grandstream due to multiple f/w issues and patchy
response from their tech support.

> And admittedly provisioning can be a pain needing to encode the
> configuration plan, and being capable of handling multiple config files.
> (even with the old atcoms you could have a global config file with
> default settings and a separate per-unit one).
>
> I've not tried it, but the unencrypted GXP2000 config files look like a
> small header and some URL-style form data at the end. You may be able to
> make global changes as simply as:
>
> sed -e -i 's/P625=0/P625=1' cfg*
>
> Would presumably reconfigure all the phones to auto-answer on line 4.
> (finding the keys is as simple as looking at the souce on one of the web
> pages).

We provision our GXP-2000's with some bash scripts. The originals were
simple and took a "global" template and concatenated it with a
device-specific config before feeding the result to the GS encoder. We
just maintain templates for the configs in text format, a "map" file
with the extension number, user name and MAC address and the scripts do
the rest. All of the Grandstream configuration pain is gone! (except for
the f/w bugs! :-)

regards,

Drew

--