[asterisk-biz] QOS LAN SWITCH VENDORS?

bob murphy springsource at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 16:46:49 CST 2008

Once you start adding L3 to even L6 and 7 services the party gets smaller
and more expensive.  At the point you are building a network that requires
QOS, Priority, Per port VLAN's etc you may as well build with service
provider class switching gear like Foundry and Cisco etc.  It will help us
all by eliminating complaints about "VOIP and Asterisk" being not ready for
prime deployment due to maturity issues when in reality, it works fine on
a well designed and constructed network.  Most of the time the Telephony
system get's blamed for what is actually a poorly designed network.  "Low
cost" and "Business grade" may not coexist yet.  So just bite the bullet and
use Foundry or Cisco.  We have deployed a couple systems with over 400 IP
voice endpoints and things are lookin good because of the proper L3 and QOS
functionality that was properly designed in to the final solution.

Or, with cheap MAC switching you can just run seperate networks.  I mean,
why complicate things by converging voice and data.  With L2 switching
equipment so cheap.  But you'll have to run two cat6 drops everywhere.  It's
a trade off.  We have done it both ways.

Bob
Arreva Communications

On 2/3/08, John Williams <jw.ip.pbx at gmail.com> wrote:

> Deal List,  Who are the low cost QOS LAN switch vendors with products
> supported by * for business grade voice service?  Thanks

Bob Murphy
Principal

Arreva Communications
www.arrevausa.com