[asterisk-biz] Futures of the telecoms business.

Andres Paglayan andres at paglayan.com
Sat Feb 2 09:28:17 CST 2008

On Feb 1, 2008, at 6:20 AM, Matthew Rubenstein wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 02:42 -0500, Alex Balashov wrote:
>> Matthew Rubenstein wrote:
>>
>>> 	Lewis says telcos don't innovate and always accidentally caught
>>> up with
>>> outside innovation, that telcos act like they've got a "god given
>>> right"
>>> to make profits just because they've invested money in networks.
>>> That IP
>>> "telephony" is really beyond telephony into "the future of
>>> communications", that the IP convergence is where new money will
>>> come
>>> from as voice and SMS profits decline. That there's huge new
>>> opportunities that telcos aren't able to even think about
>>> tapping, or
>>> care about until others show how. That voice is about to change
>>> after
>>> 100 years, in combination with some other info, the huge
>>> oppportunity.
>>
>> On the other side, there are a lot of CLECs, ITSPs and small
>> independent
>> ISPs that seem to feel they have a "god given right" to make profits
>> despite _not_ having invested in networks, build-out, or any kind of
>> value-creating CAPEX other than resale infrastructure...
>>
>> Don't get me wrong, I like this category of the industry, I'm
>> fundamentally on their side.  But it still bears pointing out.
>
> 	I think the difference is that these telcos have the means to
> *enforce*
> their "god" given "right" to profits, because they physically control
> the infrastructure that CLECs have the merely "1996 Telecom Act" give
> *legal* right to exploit. Lots of people think they have made-up
> rights,
> but the telcos are unique in the power of their prayers, and the tank
> divisions to back them up.
>
> 	One sweeping illustration is the telcos current campaign to get
> retroactive immunity for several years of serious violations of the
> Constitution and FISA. Before that's even pulled off, they're also
> announcing plans to police content for "piracy", an even more
> fundamental violation of the laws not to parse content. Of course
> all of
> that lawbreaking is to protect their god given right to profits, for
> which they're now buying indulgences. Maybe that "god" is really the
> other guy, who's more into contracts signed in blood.
> --

they own the transport media,
it's like being the city traffic controller and owning the streets at
the same time.

The political change needed to achieve every building to be connected
to the network
using plain tax resources and make the layer 1 belonging to e.g. the
County
is so far to happening that I doubt is possible without a revolution.

If that utopia ever occurs,
then a fully decentralized peer-to-peer network based on peer trust
to node connection might happen.

I know you'll say you could it now, but no, you really can't.

may be some day the "right to communicate thru the internet with a
reasonable bandwidth" becomes a human right.