[asterisk-biz] Fraud. (here we go again)

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Mon Aug 18 18:56:05 CDT 2008

I think it is less of known proxy, sysadmin, or misconfigured machine
issue and more of a compromised system, zombie issue.

I know last Tuesday was a HUGE M$ "patch Tuesday", not sure if any of
those exploits could be used for proxy or port redirection but if not
directly, they can probably be used to open a hole big enough to drive
a truck into let alone remote execution of a little bit of code to
insert such a hidden service.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-10015517-83.html?hhTest=1&part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Not to mention all the bootleg copies of Windows that will not be able
to update and those that just won't bother.

We are not even talking about Malware, worms, or viruses here which is
what most people fear and feel "protected", even allowing their emails
to append some nonsense about being "scanned and virus free".  So was
Subseven or basically any new virus at zero hour.

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/04/zombie-computer.html

Anyways, on to how to combat it.  I think the only real way is to have
human intervention.  A phone call to speak with the card holder would
probably cut it back drastically.

I think it was Gafachi that sent me a credit card authorization form
via snail mail which I thought was strange at the time but obviously
prudent with rampant fraud.  This way they verify the mailing address
to some degree, get a signature, and have some paper trail.  While it
could still be fraudulent, I think most would be eliminated.  There
are easier targets and with the explanation about fighting fraud along
with the snail mail authorization form, I would totally understand.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro